Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Job Hunting

As the Sex and the City movie will be arriving in theatres soon I thought I'd begin this post with a comment Carrie made...everyone is always looking for a place to live, a job or a love interest. I've got the greatest guy, my living situation seems to be figured out and while I like my job, some organizational changes have made it unstable lately. And human resources has ignored my boss's request for my promotion and raise and let's face it, no one wants to be undervalued. Or working for a corporation that is making money hand-over-fist and doesn't appropriately compensate their employees. But I digress... so one of my New Year's Resolutions was to do something about my job situation and...frankly, to find a new one. I've had two interviews and two rejections so far this year and have an informational interview Thursday and an actual interview Friday. I should be preparing, but naturally, I'm trying to handle the emotional lead-up instead.



The informational interview is with a man that works in my industry and heads up an office for a company I would love to work for in that they have operations in my home town and to be able to visit my home and my family for work would be amazing. Additionally, this man would be an excellent boss and the two other people I know in the office are also great. However, without Hill experience my shot at employment is a long one at best.



The interview Friday is for a management consulting job that is looking to fill multiple positions and although I am told me experience thus far is "unusual", I think I'd probably be a good fit for them. And the salary is great. However, my best friend and boyfriend have recognized my passion for the industry I work in and have cautioned me about pursuing management consulting. They feel it would be difficult to make the leap back to what I am doing (possibly) and that I might not like it (who knows).



I love the fact that I am trying to make a decision before I have a choice! My recent reading of "Eat, Pray, Love" and follow-up Buddhist readings are telling me to let go, take things as they are and meditate. Well, in my intial stages of reading, this is what they seem to be telling me. After a late-night conversation with my coworker about this, she advised I go with my gut. But the only thing my gut is telling me to do right now is to work out after the peanut-butter cookie and cheese ravioli I had for lunch.

No comments: